Posts for tag: dental anxiety
Dental anxiety doesn't have to stop you from receiving the treatment you need to keep your smile healthy smile. Sedation dentistry offered by your San Jose, CA, dentist, Dr. Nidhi Sikka, provides a simple, safe way to calm your fears during checkups and dental procedures.
What is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry involves using medications to help you relax during dental visits. Depending on your needs, your dentist may recommend one of these sedation options:
- Oral Sedatives: Taking oral sedatives shortly before you leave home will help you feel relaxed before and during your appointment. A friend or relative will need to drive you to and from your appointment if you choose this option.
- Inhalation Conscious Sedation: Inhaled medication, commonly called "laughing gas," offers an effective way to increase your comfort at the dentist's office. The effects of the medication wear off immediately after the mask is removed, allowing you to drive yourself to and from your appointment.
- Intravenous (IV) Conscious Sedation: IV sedation takes effect quickly and produces an immediate improvement in anxiety. Although you'll be awake, you won't remember anything about your visit. Since the IV method uses stronger medications than other sedation options, your vital signs will be closely monitored during your treatment. You won't be able to drive yourself home from your appointment if you choose IV conscious sedation.
How you can benefit from sedation dentistry?
Do you make and then cancel dental appointments because of your dental phobia? When you have dental fears, any visit, even a teeth cleaning appointment, can trigger severe anxiety. Thanks to sedation dentistry, you'll finally be able to keep your appointments.
Pain tends to intensify if your muscles are tense due to stress and anxiety. Sedation relaxes your muscles, decreasing pain. You may also receive a local anesthetic to ensure that you remain comfortable and pain-free throughout the entire procedure.
Without regular dental care, you're more likely to experience tooth decay and gum disease. Fortunately, sedation dentistry options available from our San Jose dentist can help you avoid these unpleasant consequences and reduce your fear of dental visits.
Sedation dentistry can help you ensure you receive the dental care you need. Call Dr. Nidhi Sikka, your dentist in San Jose, CA, at (408) 259-1280 to schedule your appointment.
Fear for the dentist is a common and widespread issue affecting many people. However, you do not need to fear your dentist. Sedation dentistry helps you relax in the dental chair, eases your nerves during your procedure, and allows you to get through your appointment without panicking. Find out more about how you could benefit from sedation dentistry with Dr. Nidhi Sikka and Dr. Mona Chattha at Sikka Dental in San Jose, CA.
What is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry helps patients who have dental anxiety get through their appointment and procedures with ease. The sedation medication is administered orally, via inhalation, or intravenously. Sedation dentistry can also benefit patients who have a low pain threshold, a severe gag reflex, have high teeth sensitivity, are physically unable to remain still while in the dental chair, and those who require a large amount of procedures at once.
Could I benefit from sedation dentistry?
Most people are good candidates for sedation dentistry. However, your dentist will go over your medical and dental histories to ensure that you are a good fit for sedation. Patients with heart conditions, who are taking certain medication, who have certain allergies, or who suffer from certain respiratory conditions may not make good candidates for sedation dentistry. Additionally, those who have a bad reaction to sedation medications should avoid sedation dentistry.
Types of Sedation Dentistry in San Jose, CA
- Local Anesthetic: This is the most common form of pain relief, using injections at the site of the tooth to numb the area before the procedure.
- Mild Sedation: Mild sedation keeps your conscious yet relaxed, easing your tension and allowing you to get through your procedure without anxiety.
- Heavy Sedation: Moderate sedation keeps patients conscious, but causes them to lose most memory of their procedure.
- General Anesthesia: General anesthesia puts a patient to sleep completely during their procedure.
For more information on sedation dentistry, please contact Dr. Sikka and Dr. Chattha at Sikka Dental in San Jose, CA. Call (408) 259-1280 to schedule your appointment for a sedation dentistry consultation with your dentist today!
Dental phobia? No problem! We are here to help make your next visit smoother.
When was the last time you visited the dentist? If you have a dental phobia perhaps it’s been a while since you stepped foot in our office. It’s okay! While we completely understand that being scared of dental procedures does happen, our San Jose, CA dentists, Dr. Nidhi Sikka and Dr. Mona Chattha, are here to provide you with the stress relief you need to get through your next appointment with ease.
What is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is a way to help both children and adults relax during their next dental visit. This can be a great option if the patient is particularly nervous or fearful of dental procedures, and it can also be great for those who require multiple dental treatments to help make their visit easier and more relaxing.
There are several forms of sedation dentistry:
- Inhaling a special gas
- Taking a pill
- IV sedation
Also referred to as laughing gas, this can be a great option for patients who only suffer from more mild to moderate dental anxiety. Nitrous oxide and oxygen are combined and administered through a mask that is placed over the nose. You will need to breathe through your nose rather than your mouth. As the gas takes effect, you will find yourself feeling more and more relaxed and stress-free.
What makes this a popular option is that the effects are pretty mild and wear off the minute the mask is removed.
If you are feeling a bit more anxious then our San Jose family dentist may prescribe an anti-anxiety medication to be taken orally. The type and strength of the medication will depend on the type of dental treatment you are getting and how anxious you are. You may start to feel tired or sleepy while under the effects of oral sedation. You will still be able to follow instructions but some patients actually forget some parts of their dental procedure. You will need to have someone pick you up and drive you home if you take oral sedation.
While laughing gas and oral sedation tend to be the most popular sedation options patients can also receive an injection or an IV that provides the same effects. Of course, with the introduction of an injection or IV a patient will need to be more closely monitored. This form of sedation is typically used for more involved dental procedures.
Do you want to find out if sedation dentistry is right for you? Could your next visit to see our San Jose, CA dentists be a breeze? If you are ready to find out if sedation dentistry is right for you then give us a call today.