Find out how our dental practice can help those with special needs.
When it comes to finding a dentist, we know that nothing is more important than finding one that understands and listens to each patient’s unique needs. So, what if you or a loved one has special needs? You are in luck! Our dentist Dr. Nidhi Sikka offers special needs dentistry to patients living in and around San Jose, CA. Dr. Sikka and her team understand that those with physical, medical, developmental and cognitive health problems have unique dental needs and require the proper dental care to maintain healthy smiles.
What to Expect
Here at Sikka Dental every member of our team understands the unique concerns and needs of their various special needs patients. When you schedule an appointment, our goal is to get as much information from you as possible to ensure that we are providing you with the individualized care and attention you deserve. Those with physical and medical-related special needs that prevent them from coming into our San Jose, CA, clinic can ask us about our at-home dentistry services.
We work with patients of all ages with a variety of special needs including,
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Developmental disabilities such as Down syndrome
- Serious and complicated health problems such as weakened immune systems and organ failure
- Physical disabilities such as neurological conditions
- Behavioral and emotional disorders including autism and ADHD
- Blindness and deafness
- Intellectual disabilities including congenital genetic abnormalities (e.g. fragile X syndrome)
We also offer sedation dentistry here at our practice, which is safe for patients of all ages and can be helpful in easing anxiety or fear around the dental office. It can also help patients feel more comfortable in the dental chair, particularly if they need to sit in one position for extended periods of time (this is often the case if a patient requires more complex or multiple dental procedures).
Our practice is also handicap accessible and our team can assist in transferring patients from their wheelchairs to the dental chair. From the moment you sit down in our chair, we are taking into account how you or your loved one’s special needs can impact their oral health, and providing them with the individualized care and treatment they need. We will focus on,
- Emergency dentistry including treating cavities or extracted teeth
- Assessing periodontal health to look for signs of gum disease
- Providing insight and education into how to maintain optimal oral health and prevent cavities and gum disease
- Replacing missing teeth or repairing damaged teeth
- Establishing routine dental exams and care with the patient
If you are interested in scheduling an appointment with Dr. Sikka, or if you have questions about our special needs dentistry here at Sikka Dental, call our San Jose, CA, practice today at (408) 259-1280.