Maintaining The Health of your Smile when You're Older
Taking care of your smile as you age can prevent you from developing problems such as tooth pain, cavities, gum disease, and tooth loss, as well as improve your general health. as well. It's important to take care of your gums and teeth if you have a health condition like heart disease or diabetes. Led by your senior-care dentist, Dr. Nidhi Sikka, Sikka Dental in San Jose, CA, offers full-service dental care to their aging patients. Here are 5 oral care tips for older adults.
1. Brush Twice a Day. Brush your teeth at least twice a day using fluoride toothpaste and a soft-bristle toothbrush. When brushing, hold the brush at a 45-degree angle against the gums and make sure you cover the inner and outer surfaces of your teeth. When your toothbrush starts to look frayed, it is time to invest in a new one.
2. Floss Your Teeth Daily. Clean between your teeth at least once a day using dental floss. Flossing removes food particles and dental plaque in places where a brush cannot reach. Flossing once a day helps to prevent tooth decay and gum disease. By flossing every day, you increase the chances of keeping your teeth for a lifetime.
3. Use Mouthwash Daily. Rinse your mouth with mouthwash every day. Mouthwashes are used to help reduce dental plaque, prevent tooth decay, freshen breath, and prevent periodontal disease.
4. Clean Your Tongue, Too. Don’t forget to clean your tongue, for this action helps to remove dental plaque, a material that encourages bacteria growth and causes bad breath.
5. Get a Dental Checkup: Visit our San Jose office every six months for a checkup. During this visit, your senior-care dentist will examine your gums for signs of gum disease, dental decay, and other problems. Additionally, you will receive a teeth cleaning that will removal the plaque and tartar from your smile, thus helping to prevent periodontal disease, cavities, oral infections, and tooth loss.
Give us a call
Healthy smiles are the happiest smiles! Call Sikka Dental at (408) 259-1280 right now to schedule an appointment with your San Jose senior-care dentist.