How Our Dentists Accommodate Your Special Needs
What can your San Jose, CA, dentist offer people with special needs
Special needs dentistry provides both child and adult patients who have medical, physical, or mental conditions with the care they need. Your San Jose, CA, dentist accommodates the treatment rooms and preventative special dental care.
Special Needs Disorders
Special needs dentistry addresses problems affecting patients with disabilities. Some conditions that require special needs dentistry include:
- Autism and autism spectrum disorders: A developmental disorder affecting general communication and behavior.
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorders (ADHD): A brain disorder that interferes with an individuals attention through increased hyperactivity and impulsivity.
- Mental Challenges: This is any condition or mental disease that affects the brain and influences an individual's thoughts, feelings, behaviors, and how one relates to others.
- Seizer Disorders (Epilepsy): Seizures are when unusual electrical activity in the brain causes abnormal movements or behavior.
- Cerebral Palsy (CP): A neurological disorder that affects body movement and muscle coordination.
- Down Syndrome: A genetic disorder that causes characteristic facial features, physical growth delays, and mild to moderate intellectual disability.
- Asthma: A common inflammatory disease characterized by airflow obstruction, wheezing, coughing, chest tightness, and shortness of breath.
- Muscular Dystrophy: A group of diseases that cause loss of muscle mass.
If you are taking care of any individuals with special needs, make sure you provide them with a proper hygienic regimen.
- Make sure they brush twice a day with fluoride-containing toothpaste and floss once daily
- Make sure you take them to the dentist's office for checkups
- Change their toothbrush when bristles are frayed, and/or after they've recovered from a cold
Dentists specializing in special needs have experience providing patients with the care they need. If you would like more information about special needs dentistry, call your San Jose, CA, dentist at (408) 259-1280 today!